Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Summer of Backbends

Yoga this morning was totally awesome... like always. William declared this to be the summer of backbends. Backbends is just what I needed to pull me out of my funk. Plus I learned something extremely helpful... when extending into a back bend allow the space right by your armpit, the part of your lat on the bottom part of your scap... that spot needs to extend out (latterly). At the same time... the humerus is pulled into the glenoid fossa. Elbows are kept in line between the wrists and shoulders.

When I was pressing up into the backbends, my shoulder was bugging me with some painful clicking near the posterior delt... of course William had the advice that fixed it... more external rotation of the humerus, this caused my scap to stabilize and descend down my back.



We practiced dropping into backbend from headstand. We used a chair... then kicked off the chair to come out of the backbend. There is hip flexor training... the psoas is the strongest of the hip flexors, I wonder how much it works while the back is in extension? Any way... it has been awhile sense I have dropped into a backbend from headstand and then kicked back over... it was pretty fun.

5 comments:

Christine Petty said...

I am envious of your flexibility. And your legs! Holy cow!

Christine Petty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fawn friday said...

Christine, thanks for the complement... PL'er notice legs. Sometimes I like to pretend I am a powerlifter.

Geoff Neupert said...

VERY COOL pics, Fawn! On hardwoods no less!

The psoas works eccentrically to stabilize the lumbar spine in those positions--because you asked...

fawn friday said...

Thanks Geoff, of course...eccentric work in extension, makes sense. I have a gorgeous practice space... you would think I would be better by now.