Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Wednesday Yoga

We had a nice Vanilla yoga class today. We worked mostly basic postures that are all in my regular rotation. Focus was on tail bone extension, actually lengthing and extending into the body. This along with actual femoral extension... Esoteric, I know, but that is Iyengar style yoga... working muscles at the origins and insertions. William is very scientific about his descriptions of movement, using muscle and bone names, this style of teaching is so helpful to me... I actually visualize the action of the bone and muscle. The movements are subtle... but powerful. Having access to an instructor who can verbalize instructions this way is truly a gift.



We worked Pincha Mayurasana before and after back bends... Extension and stamina came much easier after the back bends. Shoulder both felt VERY healthy... and have for the past few days. I have been doing both stick presses (thank you Mark) and Z drills (thanks Mike). My shoulders like back bends and Pincha... however on unhealthy shoulder days I have to *ease* into these postures and I don't have much for stamina... maybe 20 seconds compared to healthy days... a minute and beyond.



Ineresting things....

Aaron, my husband who has just started to swing K'bells as of my RKC certification is going to be a victim at the up coming June cert.

I have been working with Mike Nelson doing some Z Health stuff... and actually will be working with him and another one of my favorite clients tonight.

I met the guy who makes our Kettlebells at Golds last week... He has made 10's of thousands of Kettlebells and has never trained with them. I gave him my card and he promised to give me a call.

5 comments:

Christine Petty said...

I envy your flexibility!

Tracy said...

I hate you! But in a nice way, LOL

fawn friday said...

Christine, I envy your DL, great blog...

Tracy, When you are in yoga class, do you find yourself wondering what the postures would be like if you add a kettlebell?

Tracy said...

Never! You are a freak.

Mark Reifkind said...

nice fawn, glad the stick work is helping.love the photos as well.iyengar sounds very interesting style of yoga.