Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Wednesday Yoga

Yoga with William was awesome like always... We started out with a vinyasa of standing postures, which is part of my standard home practice. I love standing poses... William says we should practice postures until there is neither attraction or aversion, I think I will be working on not being attracted to standing poses for a long time. Next we worked on back bends, deep big long back bends. We used a stool and bolster for a supported deep back bend. Supported postures can be held longer, benefit is the ability to work the posture with less fatigue.





So, this is a recreation of what we did in class today, not as nice as earlier, but I wanted to show a supported back bend that I really like to work. I feel like my back bends are getting back to where they were before I found weight training....

6 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

As you can see, we've got the air conditioner plugged in these days.

Mark Reifkind said...

that looks so cool. I love the use of props to achieve the desired posture. THey use that a lot in gymnastics now. wish they had when I did it. very cool.

fawn friday said...

Mark,

When I was a kid I was desperate to be gymnast... unfortunately I grew up in a tiny little town with zero options for anything resembling gymnastics.

Check out the book Light on Yoga, that is BKS Iyengar's book about yoga. He is still living and teaching yoga. I believe he is around 90 years old. His son and daughter also teach yoga in India...

Iyengar yoga pioneered the use of props to better align the postures if the ROM was limited. We use chairs, bolsters, blocks, straps, sandbags, there are even weight plates in William's studio. In yogaland Iyengar yogis are also called "furniture" yogis.

Franz Snideman said...

Good lord! That looks amazing! Strong and flexible - nice combination!

taikei said...

Looks cool. And I just can't believe the same person's pressing 16kg kettlebell and snatching 23 times per minute.

Aaron Friday said...

She's kinda strong and bendy.