Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Nothing Exciting...

Which is fine... I don't mind having a boring life and boring training schedule.

Monday - Mostly yoga asana... I ran through my standard series of standing postures, because I love them. I also practiced some inversions. I try to get Sirsasana (headstand) and Sarvangasana (shoulderstand) a few times a week. Inversions are said to be very restorative to the CNS. This is what BKS Iyengar says about shoulderstand in his book "Light on Yoga"...

"The importance of Sarvangasana cannot be over-emphasized. It is one of the greatest boons conferred on humanity by our ancient sages. It is a panacea for most common ailments. There are several endocrine organs or ductless glands in the human system which bathe in blood, absorb the nutriments from the blood and secrete hormones for the proper functioning of a balanced and well developed body and brain.... Continued practice of this asana eradicates common colds and other nasal disturbances. Due to the soothing effect of the pose on the nerves, those suffering from hypertension, irritation, shortness of temper, nervous breakdown and insomnia are relieved. The change in bodily gravity also affects the abdominal organs so that the bowels move freely and constipations vanishes. It is no over-statement to say that if a person regularly practices Sarvangasana he will feel new vigor and strength, and will be happy and confident."

Mr. Iyengar goes on to say lots of other great things about this specific posture. I try to say in this posture for at least six minutes, then I usually add some variations in after that.

Tuesday - I started my 5X5 pull-up plan. Yoga asana, I also did some KB's. Swings 30 on 30 off, presses, and some other stuff I can't remember because I am lazy and didn't write it down... the didn't blog about it.

Today - Yoga with William. He moved into a new studio this month, which is beautiful. We did a bunch of backbends... it is still the summer of backbends. Excellent class like always! I also trained snatches and my favorite; Swing, Clean, Front Squat, Push Press, Negative Press.

No comments: