Sunday, July 29, 2007

Scorpion at Neti Neti

Mr. Iyengar's Vrschikasana

We worked on Vrschikasana today. Vrschikasana is Sanskrit for scorpion. Back bends are very stimulating to the nervous system. In the book "Light on Yoga" Mr. Iyengar explains the benefets of Vrschikasana...


My attempt at Vrschikasana

Yoga is exciting for the puppy


"The lungs expand fully while the abdominal muscles are stretched. The entire spine is vigorously toned and remains healthy. the asana has also psychological significance. The head which is the seat of knowledge and power is also the seat of pride, anger, hatred, jealousy, intolerance and malice. These emotions are more deadly than the poison which the scorpions caries in its sting. The yogi, by stamping on his head with his feet, attempts to eradicate these self-destroying emotions and passions. By kicking his head he seeks to develop humility, calmness and tolerance and thus to be free of ego. The subjugation of the ego leads to harmony and happiness."

As you can see, I have a long way to go before this posture reigns in my ego... however practicing this posture does give me happiness. Damn emotions and passions!

8 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

Seems like kicking each other in the head would be so much easier.

Kettlebell Lady said...

Aaron - you sir, make me laugh...thanks!
Fawn - That move is insane! You've earned that Yoganator title for sure!

Tracy said...

I'm sorry, but I'm thinking the "ego" is not such a bad thing.

Using our strength, our confidence, our motivation, our knowledge (knowing), to bring those things to others is a good thing.

When can you teach me to do that pose???? LOL

Lauren said...

Very impressive pose. Now you are motivating me to want to learn that. Yoga and Kettlebells really go hand in hand!

Best,

Lauren

AikiBudo said...

Part of the reason I train is for my ego. Now you're telling me it's bad?? Ain't that a kick in the head...

It's all about balance and proportion. One of the best concepts I learned studying Aikido is what we called Mai-ai: Proper distance, or proper relationship.

In every interaction you have with others or parts of your self, at each moment there is a 'best distance' to maintain for things to go smoothly. That's the AI or 'harmony' part of Aikido (or Tai-chi chuan or Yoga = union)

You need an ego, passion and drives to continue existing on Earth. They are part of a natural healthy human being. Keeping everything in balance is the key.

Maybe I don't know you real well Fawn, but you don't seem like an egomaniac to me!

PS: nice technique. Looks pretty good to me. You'll be kickin yourself in the head for real in no time. Maybe that will replace the metaphorical head kicks?

Aaron Friday said...

Yoga has myriad poses for myriad goals. This particular pose is about subduing the ego. You quash your own ego to make more room for God to work through you, and God can kick anyone's ass. So it's not really a sacrifice. It's more like an investment in ass-kicking.

Other yoga postures enable practitioners to raise the dead, digest grains better, pee without pain, stand motionless with one leg trapped behind the neck, or see into the future.

Since you never know when any of these skills will come in handy, you have to practice all of them within a disciplined routine. It's not like Fawn is anti-ego; it's just that subduing the ego might be helpful at times.

fawn said...

This is why I married Aaron... he is very good at explaining what I am trying to say.

What he says is true... yoga isn't anti-ego. It is all about finding peace... it's hard to be peaceful when your ego is raging. More precisely the Yoga Sutras say...

"When his mind, intellect and self are under control, freed form restless desire, so that they rest in the spirit within, a man becomes a Yukta - one in communion with God."

"God" does not make yoga a theism... anyone can apply yogic ideas to any particular religion, there are even a lot of Buddhist are Yogis.

Jim, I could stand to reign in my ego a little,lol! In yogaland we work for no reward and love with no object. It is also unethical not working to your potential...

fawn said...

Tracy and Lauren...

This pose is actually not that hard to learn (until you actually try to press you feet on your head), use a wall to find your balance. I use a block to help keep my tension in my forearms. You can also use a belt or strap to keep the elbows for splaying out.

I totally agree, yoga and kettlebells are a great match!