Sunday, September 30, 2007

Deadlift Day

Aaron wants to do a Gym day once a week, for Deadlifts. Sunday is looking like it is going to be the day. I guess that will be alright.

I have my Vinyasa Yoga class with Lisa at Neti-Neti at 10am on Sundays. Lisa is a certified Ashtanga instructor. She did most of her training with David Swensen, who I am told is an awesome teacher. Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga is a series of specific postures done in a series... known as the Primary Series and The Secondary Series (i think). I have never learned the traditional Ashtanga series. When I practice yoga on my own it is usually in a Vinyasa style. When I say "Vinyasa style" I mean a "flowing" style.

What I am trying to say is Lisa's class can be pretty demanding. We did a bunch of backbends, and hip opening asana. Just what I needed... When I got home I ate a bunch of food, rested a little and then Aaron and I hit the gym.

This is what I did...

Conventional Deadlifts -
135 X 5
185 X 5
205 X 3
205 X 3
215 X 2

Sumo Deadlifts -
215 X 3
215 X 3
215 X 3

Deadlifts today were tough, but doable. My energy was low, the weather is rainy, and it is Sunday... aka lazy day for Fawn Friday.

Front Squats -
95 X5
115 X 5
135 X 5
115 X 5
115 X 5

95lbs was pretty easy and I was able to drop ATG, 135 was killer... it was all I could do to get my hips down to the level of my knees. Looking back I wish I would have just warmed up with 95lbs and maybe stuck to sets of 3 at 120lbs and challenge my ROM. Oh well.

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Yoga, yoga, yoga, I've got to make a bigger commitment. I think I'm almost to the point of doing some stretching at home! That's big!

fawn said...

There is a Bikram yoga studio about 2 miles from my house... there are classes there everyday! I am really looking forward to trying out the classes there with you in 18 DAYS!

Derrick said...

Fawn,
I happend across your blog and I wasn't sure if you had seen this yet so I am sending you the link on youtube I was telling you about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ixSENS8PWo

Derrick

fawn said...

Way cool Derick! Thanks!

Mike T Nelson said...

Nice work Fawn!

How do the deadlifts feel? Does conventional or sumo feel better?

Do you normally do yoga before lifting or after? How much time between? Any difference? Just curious.

I have been to the Bikram yoga studio in White Bear Lake quite a few times and I love it for recovery work (when I have time).

Fawn, are you going to be out at the RKC? I will be there going through it, so hopefully I will see you there and meet lots of others in person!

Excellent video Derrick!

Time for some Z Health I Phase for me.

rock on
Mike N

Aaron Friday said...

Mike, we will probably see you at the dinner on Saturday and the grad workout on Sunday.

Maybe I'll have Fawn buy us a bulldog!

Thanks for the video, Derrick.

fawn said...

Mike,

Sumo works much better for me... more legs less back. I still try to train conventional for back strength.

Plenty of time between yoga and lifting... two totally different practices. Usually Yoga in the am and KB's or weights in the afternoon. I may throw some asana in during my lifting to refresh my CNS, but I don't really consider that part of my practice.

I will be at the RKC Graduation work out for sure... I will be cheering for you!