Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Squats

Aaron and I were supposed to go to Phoenix for Christmas this year. However, our pup Elsa blew out her knee and needed surgery. Knee surgery for dogs means special treatment and a regimented physical therapy for her to successfully regain the use of her knee. So, we canceled out trip and are spending the holiday home for the first time in our marriage. I was scheduled to squat yesterday, but Aaron and I thought it would be kinda cool to spend some time on Christmas day doing something we both love, training at The Press.

Back Squat
95X5
135X5
155X3
185X3
205X2X4
155X5
~The squats felt good! I felt I could have done a third... but I stuck to the program. Six weeks ago, this was my old 1RM. Lifting this heavy makes me focus my brain, I still have the tendency to want to "grind" the lift.


6 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

Well done on the squats! Very strong!

Merry Christmas!

Mark Reifkind said...

fawn,

when we had our gym if a training day fell on Christmas or New years the gym was open. Doenst get more hardcore than training or Christmas. Well done and those moved very well.
you aren't squatting in front of a mirror though are you? If yes, the please turn the other way, mirrors will pull you forwards and there are no mirrors at meets,lol.
nice work.
nice to do sets and reps with old one rep pr's eh?

fawn said...

Thanks Franz! Five weeks to the meet... I wonder what I will do?

fawn said...

Mark,

There were a bunch of people in The Press today, I guess most people who are serious about training think like you!

I actually was standing in front of a mirror... I wasn't looking at it though, I was looking at Spud (Mark) Bartley! Someone posted a picture of him on the wall in front of my favorite squat rack. LOL!

Starting next month Maura is going to start practicing commands with me. The Press actually does have a regulation squat rack and platform... I suppose I should start using it.

This was a perfect way for Aaron and I to spend Christmas morning!

Howie Brewer said...

Nice to have a quiet Christmas together huh? And I bet Elsa appreciated it too. Don't forget to watch Elf!

Mark Reifkind said...

fawn,

yes start to use the competition set up as soon as feasible. the more used to it you are by meet time the better. and yes, those commands are crazy important. can't tell you how many times new lifters lose perfectly good lifts at meets because they dont wait for the start or the rack commands.