Sunday, January 13, 2008

Bench Press

Maura Shuttleworth helped me with my bench press today. Finally, I got to bench press for real! Today is the first time in as long as I can remember I could bench with out pain in my shoulders. I have quirky, twitchy shoulders that seam to flame up for no reason, causing a pile of pain. However, today the planets aligned and I pressed pain-free! It felt great considering I don't really ever practice this movement. Maura practiced commands with me, here is how it went down...

Bench Press
65X5
85X3
95X1X4


Bench Press - 95lbs


Pull-ups
5X5

KB Swings
16kg
10,20,30,40,30,20,10
~I am showing Maura KB swings, she is a natural! We also worked on some snatches and did back bends.

7 comments:

Maura said...

Great job today Fawn! Your bench looked a lot better today. I think the tips from Kyle really helped too.

Maura

Mark Reifkind said...

YES!!!! Perfect. see what a huge difference keeping those shoulders retracted makes? Very very good.you might be very suprised how much you can bench with more training.

fawn said...

Thanks Maura! I couldn't do it without you!

It's kinda weird getting the same advice I give... but I NEEDED IT! Just because I can intellectualize the movement doesn't mean I can remember to apply it! LOL!

Isn't The Press a great place to train?

fawn said...

Thanks Mark! The lift felt GREAT! No pain at all... I just hope my joints don't flame up before the meet! Maura is a wonderful coach... Kyle was very helpful as well. I don't understand how anyone could train alone without someone looking out for form.

I just need to remember to stay tight... I tend to wobble at the bottom. Plus, I am so afraid of this movement, I slow way down when the bar gets to my chest. Maybe I just need some practice.

Mike T Nelson said...

Nice work on the pain free motion Fawn!!
Rock on
Mike N

Taikei Matsushita said...

I've been benching in the 80's and early 90's. If I'd known the benching form like your video clip, I would have improved a whole lot.

fawn said...

Thanks Mike!

Taikei, I am so lucky to have Maura and Mark coaching me! Having a good coach has given me a HUGE advantage! What can I say... I recognize excellence when I see it, and surround myself with it!