Thursday, February 28, 2008

Bench Press

I met up with Maura for bench press training. I am so fortunate to be training with the national bench press champion in the 105lb class. Maura did a bunch of crazy band work. I worked on my form. My arch is good... but I still struggle with consistency with movement. I am still pretty weak off the chest, and I still encounter shoulder trouble. It is still a challenge for me to maintain tension throughout the movement, especially doing reps. Maura gives great feedback... and I will continue to peck away at making some improvements on bench press. Here is how it all went down...

Bench Press
65X5
75X3
75X3
85X3
95X3
95X2
75X3
75X3
~ I am just trying to nail down an adequate form. I am afraid to do more than 3 reps at a time because I don't want my shoulders to flame up. At 85lbs. I am challenged, but the movement is definitely doable. At 95lbs, two reps was doable, the third rep caused some shoulder contortion.

Face pulls
60lbsX12X4
~Maura likes sets of 4... weird.

Pull-ups
~I don't remember what I did... a bunch, but nothing too impressive.

Triceps Push-downs
30lbsX10X2
20lbsX10X2

Pull-overs on a Ball
16kg Kettlebell
8reps, 3 sets
~Maura wanted to do shrugs... I feel like I am already upper trap dominate and don't really need direct work in that area. However, I do think my serratis anterior is a weak spot... so I did some pull-overs.

7 comments:

Brett Jones said...

I would agree on keeping the reps low on the bench- especially as you reach the higher percentages.
You can only dial in the right form and tension for so long.

fawn said...

Brett,
I would have to say maintaining tension is the biggest thing I am working on (next to form of course) these days.

I feel like I have so much strength in my shoulders, but I am having such a difficult time accessing it... I am adding DB chest presses (which is a much more comfortable movement) into the mix, as Rif's suggestion... It will be interesting to see what happens.

Mark Reifkind said...

fawn ,
always have at least one rep left in the tank when you finish a bench set. if you need more work do more sets. grinding on slow moving benches is shoulder destroyer for sure.
oh yeah,lots of triceps extenstions and pullovers are agreat idea.

fawn said...

Mark,
Thanks for the feed back! I never intentionally train to failure. Intuition told me grinding would be not a good shoulder move... I am glad to have your confirmation on my choices!

Can I use my squat cycle for bench press?

My plan is to do DB chest presses on Sunday along with DB skull crushers (you posted the movement on your blog a while back). Face pulls both Sunday and Wednesday. I feel like they are good for my shoulders and maybe some kind of pullover both days.

I would love to be able to press my body weight by this summer.

Maura said...

I think you have plenty of strength,it is just getting your form down. Good work yesterday!

Maura

Mike T Nelson said...

Another fun exercise is floor presses. You can do them with a neutral grip with DBs for some tricep rep work too. Good times!
Hopefully see you tomorrow night for the DL party.
Back to writing up my study I go
Rock on
Mike N

fawn said...

Maura,
Thanks for all your help...

Mike,
Hope to see you for DL's tonight.