I want to start this message by saying I have no formal education in nutrition. I have, in my former life, cooked professionally for over a decade. Nutrition is a hobby, I read and study different ideas about food and nutrition.
What inspired me to post this message was a conversation I had with my neighbor at the local co-op. With pride, he shows me the box of fish sticks he selected... all readable ingredients, everything recognizable, he really felt like he was doing the right thing. Much better than the conventional brand, he informed me.
Here is the interesting part... I saw the fish sticks in a box and thought processed food. He saw the short ingredients list and saw real food. We were both listening to a Michael Pollan interview on the radio on the way to the grocery store. We took different things away from the interview.
I am a big believer in real food. This is real food to me; Whole, Unpackaged, Recognizable. Michael Pollen says "eat food, not too much and mostly plants". Excellent advice. That is exactly how I try to feed my family. This is what I do...
1. We eat mostly plants, real plants, organic and local when I can find it... not frozen, not caned, not packaged.
2. We eat meat. Not a lot, about 4 oz a day. Mostly pork. We avoid factory farmed meat, I don't believe it could be healthy to consume a tortured creature. Grass fed animals are the best choice.
3. We conservatively consuming grains, seeds and nuts. Corn is not a vegetable, it is a grain. Wheat is not a plant, it is also a grain. Legumes are not plants either... they are seeds. I wrote a message about legumes, yes they are good for you, but like everything else, in moderation. Especially Wheat, Corn and Peanuts.
Foods I try to never eat...
1. Soy. Soy is high in estrogen. Not a good choice if you are interested in getting stronger. Soy, especially tofu, lows your sexual energy by interfering with absorption of zinc. Soy has also been thought to cause early menopause and contribute to other hormonal imbalances. Any food that interferes with reproduction is poison.
3. High Fructose Corn Syrup - mark my words... this is going to be the next "cigarettes". Big tobacco move over... this one is going to make some lawyers very rich.
4. Canola Oil. Most Canola oil comes from Canada, it is extracted from rape seed, which comes from a genetically modified mustard plant. Not food.
This is why I love cooking with Tracy Reifkind. She has developed a relationship with food. She is very thoughtful about what she eats and how she cooks. I have overheard her echoing exactly my feelings about food. I have much more to say food and how we eat... I am going to save it for another time.