Friday, February 29, 2008

More about Food

I want to start this message by saying I have no formal education in nutrition. I have, in my former life, cooked professionally for over a decade. Nutrition is a hobby, I read and study different ideas about food and nutrition.

What inspired me to post this message was a conversation I had with my neighbor at the local co-op. With pride, he shows me the box of fish sticks he selected... all readable ingredients, everything recognizable, he really felt like he was doing the right thing. Much better than the conventional brand, he informed me.

Here is the interesting part... I saw the fish sticks in a box and thought processed food. He saw the short ingredients list and saw real food. We were both listening to a Michael Pollan interview on the radio on the way to the grocery store. We took different things away from the interview.

I am a big believer in real food. This is real food to me; Whole, Unpackaged, Recognizable. Michael Pollen says "eat food, not too much and mostly plants". Excellent advice. That is exactly how I try to feed my family. This is what I do...

1. We eat mostly plants, real plants, organic and local when I can find it... not frozen, not caned, not packaged.

2. We eat meat. Not a lot, about 4 oz a day. Mostly pork. We avoid factory farmed meat, I don't believe it could be healthy to consume a tortured creature. Grass fed animals are the best choice.

3. We conservatively consuming grains, seeds and nuts. Corn is not a vegetable, it is a grain. Wheat is not a plant, it is also a grain. Legumes are not plants either... they are seeds. I wrote a message about legumes, yes they are good for you, but like everything else, in moderation. Especially Wheat, Corn and Peanuts.

Foods I try to never eat...

1. Soy. Soy is high in estrogen. Not a good choice if you are interested in getting stronger. Soy, especially tofu, lows your sexual energy by interfering with absorption of zinc. Soy has also been thought to cause early menopause and contribute to other hormonal imbalances. Any food that interferes with reproduction is poison.

3. High Fructose Corn Syrup - mark my words... this is going to be the next "cigarettes". Big tobacco move over... this one is going to make some lawyers very rich.

4. Canola Oil. Most Canola oil comes from Canada, it is extracted from rape seed, which comes from a genetically modified mustard plant. Not food.

This is why I love cooking with Tracy Reifkind. She has developed a relationship with food. She is very thoughtful about what she eats and how she cooks. I have overheard her echoing exactly my feelings about food. I have much more to say food and how we eat... I am going to save it for another time.

11 comments:

Mike T Nelson said...

Nice comments Fawn--keep on preaching!

Have you read Michael Pollan's new book yet? I am still working through "The Ominvores Dilemma" which is quite good.

Rock on
Mike N

fawn said...

Mike,

I haven't read either book yet. They are both on my reading list. I am a big fan of Chinese Medicine, macrobiotic nutrition and blood type diet. I have heard Omnivores Dilemma is better...

Maura said...

I agree Fawn! I try to eat as much natural food as I can. I eat more meat and protein (must be the powerlifter influence), but I am trying to be better about eating more vegetables.

Maura

Jennifer said...

Beautifully written, Fawn. I completely agree about the HFCS.If only there were some way to capitolize on what we can see coming.

Taikei Matsushita said...

I read Ori Hofmeckler's Anti-Estrogenic Diet. Seems Tokyo is contaminated with estrogens and high rate of carbs. Miso's a soy by the way.

My best meal would be Italian in Rome (My sister & brother's birth place), start with antipasto, skip pasta and grilled sea bass, possibly salad. I had tasty foods in St.Paul by the way. Restaurants were great.

Tracy said...

Fawn,

Have I told you how much I dig you lately? LOL

I hope to God we can "do" something, a project, together. I don't know what that will be yet...training, cooking, teaching, whatever.

I am so lucky to have met you, and be considered a friend by you.

fawn said...

Maura,
Some people really feel better and recover from training faster with a higher protein diet.

fawn said...

Jennifer,
Thanks for the comment! It will be interesting to see how this all shakes down regarding HFCS... in the mean time, I will be avoiding it the best I can.

fawn said...

Taikei,
It is interesting to observe what foods we thrive on and what foods bring us down. Food is like medicine... going cheap on food now, your body will present you with a bill in the future.

fawn said...

Tracy,
I dig you! We have arrived at the same destination, traveling from different directions. You are awesome and I adore you. We will for sure do something together... the universe will let us know.

AikiBudo said...

Great post, Fawn. I agree with most points, though I am a bigger fan of protein.

Check out Sally Fallon's cookbook, Nourishing Traditions. It'll rock your world.