Monday, March 24, 2008

Bench Press

One thing I like about The Press Gym is that it is open every day of the year... even Christmas, even on Easter! What a great gym!

Maura and I took advantage of the Press being open on Easter to get a bench press workout in. Here is how it all went down...

Bench Press
65X5
85X3
95X1
105X1
110X1
110XNL
Press with a Pause
85X5
~I wasn't intending to go heavy... 110lbs is heavy for me. I don't really know how I missed the second 110 press... I did give an extra long pause at the bottom. I am experiencing some power leakage from my left shoulder. I got the bar off my chest... but couldn't lock it out, weird, I thought my triceps were strong. LOL! Bench press is getting to be a better lift for me, but I still have a lot of work to do to make this movement natural.


~Not much of a pause... but something to look back on and make my blog interesting.


Triceps push downs
30X10X5

Chest Supported Rows
45lbsX8X3

11 comments:

Sean Schniederjan said...

hey fawn-just saw your message on the forum. i'm still not sure what i'm doing. i'll know thursday after i get a better idea of how this convention is going to go at this unofficial meeting.

Sean Schniederjan said...

the meeting is thursday, so i'll have a definite answer by then.

Sean Schniederjan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark Reifkind said...

fawn,good position but you need to get your legs and lats into it more.kind of like a lying push press or jerk where the force from the leg drive works it's way up into the 'push'.oh yeah, nobodies triceps are EVER strong enough,lol.

fawn said...

Sean,
We will all be disappointed if you need to miss out on the TSC... however, we will get over it and allow you to continue to deadlift with us on Friday nights.

fawn said...

Mark,
I am having a difficult time driving up and keeping my butt on the bench at the same time. I will continue to work my triceps in hopes to become less inadequate. LOL!

Maura said...

I have the same problem, Fawn. See, I told you, you learned from me and now you have the same problems as me. I drive into the floor with my legs as hard as I can and try to keep my whole body tight during the entire lift. But this does mean that sometimes my butt will come off the bench with max effort weights.

One of my teammates had a suggestion on how to learn to keep your butt on the bench. But you would start with less weight than you are used to doing. Then you put a rope under your butt and somehow loop a small weight through it. So, if your butt comes up you KNOW because the weight falls on the floor.

Maura

Sean Schniederjan said...

i appreciate your understanding and i'll look forward to getting stronger with you good folks on friday nights.

Mark Reifkind said...

girls, put your legs out in front of you more and try to push yourself lengthwise down the bench as well as into it as you push( away from the bar). hard to describe but when done your butt never comes up.

Maura said...

I have done something at least similar to that before. Although I find I get the best leg drive with my legs further back. Putting my feet further in front seems to be a trade off of a slightly decreased arch, but it's true that your butt does not come up then.

We used to be able to lift without having our feet completely flat, which was awesome. But then the IPF changed the rules.

Maura

Mark Reifkind said...

yeah I know there is a big tradeoff. BUT, if your butt comes off no matter how much is lifted its red light city!I'm sure there is a happy medium in there somewhere.