Friday, March 21, 2008

Deadlifts

Another fun night of deadlifts... it was a small party tonight. Aaron and me and Maura. End of the cycle... tough lifts. I am still struggling with gathering tension before pulling. I am feeling like my shoes are all wrong, like I cannot connect with the floor, and because of that my right hip and knee are bugging me a little. Here is how it all went down...

Sumo Dead lifts
135X5
185X3
225X1
255X1
275X1
285XNL
Conventional
225X2
235X2
225X2
Conventional off a block
135X5
185X3X4
~Here is a clip of 275lbs... It went up easy enough, I can't believe I missed 285. I know I can do it, I am just missing something.



Some pull-ups

*Addition -
I wanted to write a little about the missed 285 pull... this was a really tough workout for me. I don't feel too bad about missing the lift, 275 went up pretty easy and I feel like I can pull 275 pretty much any time I want. I feel like I am missing 285 for technical reasons. My form still needs some work. I can see correct form in my mind, but fail to make it happen. I'm looking forward to really nailing down better from next cycle. I see how PLing can become addictive.

6 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

form looked good. there are many components to strength and with truly max lifts just missing a little something can be all that is necessary to not get the lift.especially with sumo where it is said 5 pounds too heavy can look like 100 pounds too heavy.
also one must build up Max effort work capacity as well to be able to sustain more than one or two max efforts.
components of max strength
1) starting strength: ability to accelerate off the ground
2) rate of force development:ability to keep all the fibers turned on long enough to complete lift
3) speed strength; being able to accelerate very quickly with light weigh
4)strength speed: being able to accelerate against an max load
5) absolute strength: how much you can lift regardless of time
if just one of those factors is not at its best then the bar stays on the floor.
hence the wsb method of training Max effort and dynamic effort separately and NOT using the basic lifts as the training lifts.
I knowyou can make the 285 but you might need to approach it with a bigger jump from below

ie 260x1
285x1
perhaps. but it might just have been an off day,lol.Plus it is VERY hard to pull max effort deads in the gym ,ime.at least it was for me.
I could never pull 500 in the gym but pulled 545 in a three lift meet. go figure.
we might need to up your reps at 85 and 90% nex time around.
also perhaps you should do a cycle of deadlifts standing on a one inch block to build the starting strength position.
still, great work and more importantly, your form is good.

Maura said...

Wow - really interesting feedback. Both Fawn and I seem to have our sticking point right off the floor - if we can get it moving off the floor, both of us will generally finish the lift. We have been working some conventionals off blocks. We were talking about getting some 35 pound plates to work that longer range of motion in sumo stance.

Maura

fawn said...

Wow! Thanks for all the feed back Mark! The TSC is on April 5. My plan is to go light on deadlift next Friday, then max out for the TSC... hopefully hit 285 that day.

Head up positions really does feel better... I'm looking to the next cycle!

Mark Reifkind said...

maura and fawn, I think next cycle should be sumos off a hundred pound plate and conventionals off the floor, or just to the knee.

Boris said...

Great pulling. I don't have much to add, but you look relaxed when setting up to the bar and only really pour on the tension after starting the pull - don't know if that's the case or not, but that's how it appears to me.

Nicely done!

fawn said...

Thanks for the message Boris! You are totally right about the tension... I don't really pull it together until the pull is started. That is something I am working on. Plus I still panic a little when the weight gets heavy, which causes hesitation, which causes lost tension... your observation is totally correct. Next cycle... I will get the tension thing better! LOL!