Friday, March 28, 2008

Z-Health Certification and 24kg Snatches...

I FINALLY get to go through the Z-Health R-Phase. Today was the first day of the first weekend. Dr. Cobb is just what I expected... very knowledgeable, an excellent teacher and of course a likable person. There is a lot to learn in the R-Phase.

I was lucky enough to have a chance to ask Dr. Cobb about my head position in my deadlift. I also learned that the freaky face contortions I make while lifting heavy is actually working against me in the form. It is a sign of unbalanced tension. Notice my snatch video below... relaxed face!

Joe Pavel is taking the R-Phase as well. He joined me for lunch today. We had a salad and some yellow split pea soup. It was a nice break from trying to cram my brain full of new information. We had a chance to chit chat about kettlebell training and classes, the TSC, family and dogs.

I had a chance to blow off some steam at the gym tonight. Normally it would be deadlift night, but Maura and I decided to back off and go easy tonight. We did some pull-ups and snatches. Here is how it all went down...

Pull-ups
9,5,4,3,2,1

Snatches
12kg - 5/5, 15/15, 10/10, 10/10 = 80 Points
16kg - 5/5, 5/5, 10/10, 5/5 = 100 Points
20kg - 5/5, 5/5, 5/5, 5/5 = 120 Points
24kg - 5/5, 5/5 = 100 Points

Total Snatch Points = 400
Grand Total = 910


Snatchs with the 24kg 5/5

15 comments:

Tracy said...

Don't tell me I'm in two races...the one that Adam started and now this one against you! (OK, alongside you!)

Work smart, not hard...OK, 24kg, I'm coming soon!

I knew you would find a way to raise the bar.

Taikei Matsushita said...

Man, that's equivalent to me snatching the beast.
Done 7 consecutive days of snatch and my bones are starting to hurt.

fawn said...

Tracy,
I didn't even want to think about entering this race... but then I saw I could use the 24kg for 5 big points! Tracy, you are still the numbers queen!

fawn said...

Taikei,
I have only done two snatch workouts... I am way behind! I have been learning Z for the past two days... my brain is starting to hurt!

Gabi said...

Wow... After seeing this I'm not going to come to rest until I can snatch the 24... although that would probably take twice as many years as my road to Adam's 50.000 snatches :)

Tracy said...

OK, I didn't read the previous post before I left my last comment. You mean you're going to snatch that fucker regularly? Damn, I'm going to get lean and strong trying to keep up. But you know I'm gonna try....damn you.

Mark Reifkind said...

well done fawn, awesome! but now Tracy won't stop talking about snatching that thing too.I think you started something.

fawn said...

Gabi,
There is no doubt in my mind you will be snatching the 24kg... but be patient. First you have to OWN the 16kg, then you must OWN the 20kg. Tracy Reifkind taught me that at my cert last April.

You will snatch the 24kg in the next year.

fawn said...

Tracy, I am trying to make the 16kg feel light for the TSC next week.

Summer is coming, lean and strong season...

We have to talk soon.

fawn said...

Mark,
Tracy is my ultimate kettlebell training partner... she love big volume I like big weight. We balance each other out. If we trained together more often we would meet in the middle to form a super hero with unstoppable stamina and fierce strength.

Gabi said...

Fawn,
you are perfectly right with having to own the 16 and the 20 first. The benefits don't lie in reaching the milestones themselves but in the progress that leads to them.
Looking at you and Tracy is like catching a glimpse of the horizon, a proof of how far such a step-by-step progress can take one - very inspiring!

fawn said...

Gabi,
I just reread my message... gosh I didn't mean to sound so discouraging! Just don't kill yourself before your cert!

I snatched the 24kg when I found out Yoana Snideman already did! I am the kind of person who does whatever someone tells me not to. LOL!

Gabi said...

Fawn,

believe me, I wouldn't parade such "wisdom" if I hadn't failed when I tried... :)))

Joe Pavel said...

Hi Fawn,
Keep your head straight when you snatch with your right hand. Your head is leaning to the side and throws your kb way out to the opposite side. Watch your video again and see for yourself.
Thanks again for feeding me lunch for three days!
-Joe

fawn said...

Thanks for the input Joe... I will watch it again and make some adjustments!