Thursday, April 10, 2008

Easing back into Training and a New Plan

It's my first day back into the gym since the TSC. Light bench press is our normal Wednesday workout. Maura and I took it pretty easy being that this is suppose to be a recovery week. Here is how it went down...

Bench Press
65X5
75X5
75X5
85X3X4
75X3X4
~I had to find my groove again... I goofed around with some narrow and wide grip presses with 75lbs.

We called it quits after the bench pressing. Maura is looking forward to a heavy day on Sunday and I am looking forward to testing a 1 RM squat on Friday. Hopefully I will have made some headway and it has not been too much time since I last trained squats.

Here is some news... Maura and I are planning on competing at Raw Nationals in Saint Louis this July. That will be pretty big deal for me! I want to check out a National meet and see what it is like. I also like the idea of competing. I have never been a competitor before. I never participated in high school sports. I have never been on a sports team. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes down.

Being that my deadlift is the lift that needs the most improvement I decided to consult with Mark Reifkind for my next cycle. I am going to do two cycles pulling sumo off a block... actually I am going to get some 35lbs. plates. Here is my plan, (Rif, correct me if I am wrong)...

First I am going to test my 1rm pulling off a block. This is to get a starting point. I am going to use the same cycle formula I have been using, starting out at 70% pulling 15 singles.

The assistance lifting that is going to accompany this cycle is conventional pulling off a block to my knees only. I will step the weight down about 40lbs, and do 3 reps for about 4 sets. I will be pulling something challenging, but very doable. I will increase this weight the same % every week as the Sumo's off a Block.

Next assistance lift will be rack pulls. Dr. Cobb actually suggested this movement as well. This is to condition my nervous system. I bring too much emotion to my lifting. If shows on my face as well as in my lifts. Hopefully holding heavy weights will help me to calm down a little.

So, that is the plan. I will be posting videos of my progress, so stay tuned.

Snatch Points Update

Monday
12kg - 12/12, 15/15 = 54
16kg - 10/10 = 40

Tuesday
24kg - 5/5,5/5,5/5 = 150
20kg - 5/5 = 30
12kg - 5/5,5/5,5/5,5/5 = 40

Wednesday
12kg - 10/10, 10/10, 10/10 = 60
16kg - 10/10, 5/5, 5/5 = 80
20kg - 5/5, 5/5 = 60

Grand Total - 2642

7 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

exactamundo.good recall.make sure to keep the bar in VERY close to the body during the dl to knees; and err on the side of lighter although you might find yourself very strong in this movement.

Mark Reifkind said...

oh YEAH! I forgot. I want you to do box squats for the next four weeks. I'm SURE there is someone there who can show you how to box squat.
once you get some practice work up to confortable but reasonably tough single. this is your working max.
then do the same % cycle off that max for the next five weeks. After you do those box squats, follow it up with 3-4 sets of 3 rep, one second hold pause squats. that should get things done. then kb swing or glute ham raises and or reverse hypers and some weight abs.

Taikei Matsushita said...

Your path's opposite from mine. I was competitive for 16 years and now a pacifist.

Competition should be rewarding, and it's very difficult to pull yourself out from it. Addictive it is.

Joe Pavel said...

Hi Fawn,
I like rack pulls also known as "the health lift". They condition the body for much heavier weight. Plus it's fun lifting that much weight even if it's only for a short distance.
Enjoy!
-Joe

fawn said...

Rif,
Good, I'm glad I got it right! I can't wait to start this program. There are lots of boxes for box squats at The Press, so that assignment won't be a problem. I will post a video

fawn said...

Taikei,
I have started to compete late in life... interesting, huh?

fawn said...

Joe,
I didn't know rack pulls were called the health lift. I have never done them before. I am looking forward to trying.