Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Bench Press

It was bench night... I do not love bench night. Why? Because I am not good at bench press. Well, let me take that back. I actually have nice form, but this is a weak lift for me. As a lifer, I am competitive. Because I am competitive, I hate being reminded that I still have weak spots. How can I bury a 240lb squat and struggle with a 115lb bench? Oh, well... I suppose if everything came easy I wouldn't appreciate it.

There was a highlight to our evening... Anna White joined us. Anna is an up and coming PL'er in the 132's (thank god she is not in my weight class!). She is going to be joining us at Raw Nationals this July! She will be on our Press Gym Team! How cool is that?

Here is how it all went down...

Bench Press
75lbsX5
85X3
95X1
115X1
120Xnl
120Xnl
110X2
Pauses
105X1
105X1
~My excuse for missing 120 twice is due to the fact that I am still very low on energy. Plus I did a little bit of kettlebell training before hand. Boo hoo for me.

Face Pulls
60X10
70X10
70X10

Skull Crushers
18lbsX10
20lbsX8
20X8

Chin-ups
3X5

Over-all a good workout. It was nice to have Anna there, it made it a bit of a special occasion. Good stuff!

2 comments:

Maura said...

It is not that you are not good at the bench press. The bench press is just not as strong for you as the squat and deadlift.

Sometimes it just takes longer to achieve things than you might think it would. It took me four and a half years of competing before I broke the state record on the bench press!

And I still wonder how I can bench 160 raw and only squat 195!

fawn said...

Thanks Maura! I knew I could count on you to put a positive spin on the bench press!