Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Squat Knees and Bone Rhythm...

I just finished my last weekend of R-Phase. I got to learn about bone rhythm... interesting stuff. I also had a chance to have a private session with Dr. Cobb. So, for any one who has been through R-Phase, you know it has been a very intense weekend. I learned so much... I am just trying to catalog it in my pea brain the best I can so I don't forget too much!

Any whoo... Maura and I met up for squats last night. Lucky for me it was the start of a new cycle. Here is how it all went down.

Back Squat
95X5
135X5
170X3X8
~ I make 3 videos of my knees after it was called to my attention last week that my knees don't track perfectly... here is a video of my last set of 3 reps, it look like the others. I'm not sure what to think. (Rif, what do you think) (Z People... I already know I hold a lot of tension in my jaw. I'm working on it.)



Pause Squats
115X8
120X8
120X8

OMG! In case you didn't know... R-Phase is extremely stressful on the CNS. I was gassed out and had to quit after the pause squats. Yikes!

My private with Dr. Cobb was awesome. I will have to elaborate more latter.

6 comments:

Mike T Nelson said...

Congrats Fawn on passing R Phase!! Awesome work!

Yep, Z Health mobility work IS strength work. I know it does not appear like it though.

Watch your knees, esp your right one, what do you see?

Can you get a side view? I am thinking that the bottom of your fib perhaps is sticky, but hard to say in this view.

See ya this Sunday and possible Thurs
rock on
Mike N

fawn said...

Thanks Mike! R-Phase was awesome! I had a great time.

So, you see something in the right... I see some twisting at my knee in the left. MY left. Maybe I am wrong...

I see less than perfect movement, bone rhythm is off. I don't have any profiles of that night... but there are plenty of squat profiles on my youtube account. Most of them look pretty good to me.

I am not terrible concerned about the twisting. It is pretty subtle. I think I was just tired and low on energy.

Thanks for your feedback!

Mark Reifkind said...

fawn

it basically looks fine. as you fatigue a bit ont he second rep the knees come in more as you shift the load to the quads as you try to keep you com under the weight.as your abs back and hammies get stronger that won't happen as much.
remember, you are not just holding the bar passively on your back;especially on the ascent. you have to drive back INTO the bar, utilizing full back/hip extension to really help open up the hips and get them to work.it's tricky stuff.
but, it looks fine.check out some videos of some top olympic lifters and watch them squat and snatch big weights with very similar motor patterns.

fawn said...

Thanks Rif! I know you have reminded me several times of driving into the bar to utilize my hips and back strength. Keep telling me... hopefully I will get it soon! Thanks for the feedback!

Katie B. said...

Fawn,
I'm thinking that your knee/ankle rhythms are a bit off. A side view next time you would be great to look at as well.

Also, I'd be interested to see what your squat form looks like with and without shoes to see if that changes the rhythm at all.

I will be attending the RKC this weekend and would love to meet you if we can find the time. I'll be hanging out with Mike a good portion of the weekend.

Hope to see you there!

Katie
Z Health Level 4

fawn said...

Hi Katie!
Thanks for stopping by! I am very flattered!

Ankle and knee.... I have never thought of that. Here are a couple links...

Profile with my Oly shoes; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyPFF6Amnro

Profile with flat shoes;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZJZ4OFez1c

The Oly shoes feel better. Even though I have plenty of ankle mobility I like the stability of the shoe.

Any way... I hope we can meet in person this weekend! I am going to try to make it down to the Graduation workout. You will have a great time!