Friday, August 1, 2008

Back at it...

I have been doing a lot of thinking about how to train now that Raw Nationals are over. I was more than a little disappointed with my performance, so now I have a puzzle to figure out. What went wrong? Lucky for me, I know a Master Lifter who out lifted everyone at the meet! I got on the phone with Ellen Stein and we talked for about what to do next. She had a look at my blog and lifting and gave me some advice.


First, the good news... my squats look good. They feel good too. I am going to keep my squat cycle the same. I like it and it seams to to work.

Bench is not Ellen's lift. Honestly, I don't really care that much about bench. Besides, I already train with the Bench Press Champion.

Here is my big problem... deadlift. I stink on this lift. I am strong up to a point then I have a major drop off. Ellen gave me some pointers and I can't wait to put them into practice.

Tonight was bench press. Here is how it all went down...

Bench Press
95lbs.
5,4,3,2,1
~My shoulder (right) was bugging me tonight, so I went easy. I am supposed to do board presses... I just didn't feel like it tonight.

Face Pulls
50lbs 10X3

Chin-ups
3,3,3,3,3

My energy was still pretty low. I have been swinging the 12kg with my kettlebell class this last week, which feels great. I am going to be extra vigilant regards to over training. I am going to keep the deadlifts super light and just work technique. I am no stronger now than I was in February, so I have nothing to lose. I am looking forward to see how things go...

4 comments:

Franklin B Herman, RKC said...

I love your determination to re-examine and change if necessary. The dead-lift is by far the most humbling lift I've ever undertaken. And from what I've read and heard about it, its not like kettlebells with their rocket-like progress. Pulls instead take long hard work to make small incremental improvements.

fawn said...

Franklin,
Powerlifting is addictive. I know I am better that what I showed at Raw Nationals... I just want to prove it at sometime.

Mark Reifkind said...

so I'm fired? man, do I get two weeks notice or severance,LOL?
you don't stink at the deadlift. its just a very very very tough lift. prs in meets are rare as hens teeth. give yourself some slack.

fawn said...

Mark,
You fired? Am I allowed?
After I told Greg Jones you were my long distance coach, he took it upon himself to give me all the same advice you gave me. Including bench press advice... he wants to put me in a shirt and he wants me to do boards.
I can't wait to see you! Maybe I can hall you off to The Press for some in person coaching???