Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Bench Press

I do not love the bench press. If you know me... you already know my dislike for bench press. Lucky for me, my training partner is the bench press champion or I would never be a powerlifter at all. Tonight Maura and I got under the bar for some bench pressing, here is how it went down for me...

Bench Press
75X5
95X3
105X2
95X3
95X3
~Not a good night for me. My right shoulder is acting bad, giving me pain from hand off to lock out. I did have one good set, the second to last set with 95lbs. The rest pretty much sucked and I not only went light, but I ended the workout early.

Face Pulls
60lbsX8
60X8
70X8
70X8
~The first set sucked, my right shoulder hurt. Second set felt great, third set was alright, fourth set was great.

I tried to do some triceps work, but, I was done. Pain from my shoulder was radiating up my shoulder to my neck and face. Such as life. I am just barely a three lift lifter. Lucky I learned to arch, or I would never bench press.

I am planning a visit to Mike Nelson. I will post the results. Hopefully I can get the shoulder thing worked out.

4 comments:

Mike T Nelson said...

Bugger about the bench press. Let me know what time/day works for you and we will go from there.
Rock on
Mike N

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Hi Fawn! Nice work on hosting the TSC. Sorry to hear about your shoulder. Sometimes I can go for many,many weeks with no real practices and this seems to work to restore deep rest into my body. I've never lost strength doing that,but maybe I'm weird that way.
There's a PL meet in Henderson,KY next weekend. I have not done any PL type lifting since I lifted with you at The Press.

fawn said...

Katie, You should check out that meet! There was a meet here this last weekend and it was so much fun to watch.

I have never taken much of a break from lifting, so I have no clue what the results would be. I seam to be on the greedy streak... I am not really trying to rest or restore... I am trying to get stronger. I suppose that might mean rest. LOL!

As for my shoulders... I have had trouble since I was a teenager. Rest, no rest, Z, asana, blah, blah, blah... I still haven't found a permanent solution to the pain, only what makes it worse.

Mike T Nelson said...

Fawn,

As you learned in R Phase, if you have pain, you have a movement problem (of some kind). The trick is finding the correct stimulus to change it and what other movements make it worse (both of which can be moving targets); but there is a solution!

Rock on
Mike N