Monday, September 8, 2008

Deadlifts

I finally got back to deadlifts on Friday. I think I have a new plan. I am going to deadlift every other week. On the odd week, I will be doing assistance lifts including box squats. Before Raw Nationals I was pulling every Friday. So, this will be an experiment to see if I can't get a little stronger by doing less. I am also working on changing my form. I got some advice at Raw Nationals that I want to try out.

Anyway, here is how deadlifts went down...

Sumo Deadlift
135X5
185X3
225X1
245X1
255X1
265X1
265X1
255X1
~ I am working on a new technique. I am keeping my chest and head up and grabbing the bar without looking at it. Here is a video, certainly not perfect, I have to feel around for the right grip, but I have a good feeling about this technique.

9 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

Looks SOLID to me Fawn. What helps me is think of tightening my lats / armpit area really hard. This just forces me to use my legs better and keep the bar so close to the body!

Pavel also talks about trying to squeeze the bar very hard and contracting the triceps!

Awesome!

fawn said...

Lat tension is my weak spot... I need to gather lat tension BEFORE I start pulling, this is easy to intellectualize, but difficult to put into practice. There is just so much to think about!

Mark Reifkind said...

ah, I like that!everything looks very solid. I have used something similar before and it worked well. keep practicing it looks great.

fawn said...

Thanks Mark! That means a lot coming from you! I picked up this technique at Raw Nationals... I believe it was Greg Page who asked me if I could grab the bar without looking at it.

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

That's it Fawn! Bam-very solid.--Kate

fawn said...

Thanks Katie! The weight felt great. I am loving my new training schedule... I can't wait to pull again!

Franklin B Herman, RKC said...

Nice pull! Almost makes me want to back to Sumo.

Glad to hear you are psyched about deads again.

fawn said...

Franklin,
Thanks! Deadlifting is a special learning experience...

Franklin B Herman, RKC said...

I just realized we both have 1RMs of 285 .. if you break through first I hope to be right behind you.

Good luck with the new program!