Monday, December 22, 2008

Bench Press

It was a cold morning, but some how I managed to meet up with Maura on Sunday to work my Bench Press. Mike and Jane Siegler were there and Paul Balyeat joined us as well. Here is how it all went down for me...

Bench Press
75X5
95X5
105X3
110X1
115X1X5
~I paused the lifts up to 115. I am still struggling to gather and maintain tension when I press up off my chest.

Pull-ups
3,3,3,3,3
~Super set with OH Presses

BB OH Press
45lbsX8
65X5
75X3
80X2
85X1X3
~I was inspired by Melissa Byers to give this lift a shot. I used to train this lift regularly... then I started to bench press. I don't remember where I left off... I will say 85lbs was a real challenge, I missed one at this weight, but came back to nail it. Chest up, abs tight!

Close Grip Bench Press
85X5
90X5X5
~I am really hoping this lift will give me more on the bench press.

7 comments:

Melissa Byers said...

Fantastic job on the press! Chest up, abs tight... I will remember that one next time I give my arch nemesis 70# a go.

Jennifer said...

I can't even begin to imagine how cold it must have been up there this am. It was BRUTAL here. Glad to hear about the PR's in squats lately.

fawn said...

Melissa,
When you hit your sticking point tighten you abs like you are about to get a gut punch and press the bar like you are trying to cram it up your nose.

fawn said...

Jennifer,
It was so cold my car wouldn't start, Aaron had to jump it! Just in time to move it out of the way of the snow plow! I don't mind, I love the snow!!!

Ellen Stein said...

You're NUTS! I am staying at home in my bed till winter is over! and it has to be warmer here in NYC than where you are....

Mike T Nelson said...

Yep, Winters here can be a bit chilly willy. I still love my garage gym though, even though it was 23F in there the other day! A few sets of KB swings to warm up (literally) and you are fine!

Fawn, are you DLing this Friday?

Happy Holidays everyone!
Rock on
Mike N

Aaron Friday said...

I had a boxing gym in my garage at one time. 20F was the cutoff. Much below that, and my nostrils froze shut when I inhaled too hard.