Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Year


It is New Year Resolutions time. I don't really make resolutions for the new year. I am not a goal oriented person. I never participated in sports as a kid, I was never on a team. When I was 23 I discovered yoga, which is not (supposed to be) competitive or goal driven.

In the practice of yoga there are 8 limbs. First limb is Yamas (personal conduct) - non-violence, truthfulness, non-stealing, sexual responsibility, and abstinence of greed. Pretty much universal behavior. Second limb is Niyamas (personal observance) - cleanliness, contentment, austerity, self-study, and self surrender.

The Niyamas are interesting to me... Austerity, Contentment and Self-Study are the most interesting to me. Tapas, which is weird to translate, means Austerity or "practice with fervor". Santosha is translated as Contentment, accepting where and who you are at in life. Svadhyaya is translated as Self-Study. For me, this is where Powerlifting and Yoga meet. This is how I am applying the Niyamas to my training/practice...

Tapas - Get serious about training. Work toward balance, using my whole potential, staying focused.

Santosha - Don't over reach or over train. Accept failures and pr's with emotional detachment.

Svadhyaya - Find my weaknesses and imbalances (in all parts of my life), then fill them in.

6 comments:

Taikei Matsushita said...

Namaste

A new vocab I learned this year.

fawn said...

Thanks Taikei! Namaste!

Melissa Byers said...

"Santosha - Don't over reach or over train. Accept failures and pr's with emotional detachment." I need to focus on this as well. Thank you for an insightful post. Happy New Year!

Ellen Stein said...

Wow-a whole other side of Fawn Friday! Who knew? You'll have to teach me some of that spirituality stuff-I sure can use it in my life!

Jennifer said...

Nice post, Fawn. I like the more in depth explanation of deeper tenets of Yoga. Very thought provoking.

fawn said...

Melissa,
Glad you got something out of my message. Yoga is so much more than postures.

Ellen,
It all about enjoying life... I plan on writing more.

Jen,
My REAL resolution is to post more messages about my yoga practice. I have made a few break throughs regarding yoga and powerlifting.