Monday, February 2, 2009

Deadlift Training

Fellow powerlifter John Hanson drove Maura and I over to Wisconsin for a deadlifting lesson with Shawn Cain. Most everyone in USAPL knows who Shawn is. I know him as the head judge at my first powerlifting meet last year, the Minnesota State Open.

John Hanson gave me the idea to ask Shawn Cain for some help a couple weeks ago. John sometimes trains with Shawn Cain, Jim Miller and a few other guys in the basement of Jeff Tarmin. Jeff has a very nice home gym. The guys use York plates, so you know they are accurate. Most of the equipment is made by Shawn Cain, which is probably the nicest powerlifting equipment I have ever used.

Mr. Cain was not training himself tonight. He was competing this last weekend in the Wisconsin State and Open meet. I can't remember his exact numbers, other than they were big... I can never tell if the weight moved was impressive or not. Men's numbers seam crazy huge to me. How can someone squat 600lbs?

With coaching from Shawn I managed a decent deadlift. Here is how it went down for me...

Deadlift
135X5
185X5
225X1,1
245X1,1
265X1
175X1
285X1
290X1 ~PR
300Xnl
300X1~PR
~The last lift felt the best. Worked on tension; getting tight and staying tight. Need to do a lot of work here... Worked on moving the shoulders with the hips and knees. More on this latter.

Huge break through tonight. Hard to be unemotional or detached about this one. FINALLY!

16 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

No need to be detached. You pulled 300! It must be a great feeling after pursuing it for so long.

Jim Ryan DC, RKC, RI said...

Awesome accomplishment, Fawn! Truly impressive! Don't hold back - Enjoy all the thrill that goes with such a big lift!

Sean Schniederjan RKC said...

holy crap, congratulations Fawn!! i would be posting it all over the web...your humility about the whole thing leads me to think there are bigger nos. in the tank!

KBMarty said...

Fawn, you are amazing. Congrats! You've earned it.

fawn said...

Babes,
It was a great feeling to get that pull, especially after missing the first 300. I only wish you were there with me.

Jim,
Thanks! It was so exciting to pull that kind of weight. Surprising that it was so easy!!!

Sean,
That 300lbs went up so easy, I know I have more in me, you are right. I just needed a small form adjustment. It will fun for me to find out my new 1rm!

Marty,
My deadlift has been stuck in the 280's for so long! A 15lbs pr is a great feeling. You are right, earning a pr is an amazing feeling.

Ellen Stein said...

Told you so, told you so! No looking back now! Now next time take bigger jumps-no more need for baby steps!

fawn said...

Thanks Ellen, you did tell me so!

Nikki Shlosser said...

Freaking awesome, Fawn.

Franklin said...

Big time Congrats!!

I was on a high for several months after nailing 300 .. you deserve to enjoy it.

fawn said...

Thanks Nikki! Aren't breakthroughs wonderful?

Thanks Franklin! Good coaching is priceless...

Taikei Matsushita said...

With your body weight and 300lbs is just crazy.

I'm more impressed with the fact that you're continuously evolving to pursue better life. You seem to have knack of doing that.

PetitePowerlifter said...

A warm and hearty welcome to the 300 CLUB, Lady!! :)

I will just say DITTO to all of what Ellen said (those heavy singles look awfully familiar, BTW) ;)

Faizal S. Enu said...

Nice pull....

fawn said...

Taikei,
I am surrounded by very strong people (especially women) at The Press, that makes all the difference in the world.

Cheryl,
I meant to brag to you about finally hitting 300, but we have both been so busy at the gym lately. We will have to catch up once you get back from Womens Nationals.

Thanks Faizal! More and better to come.

Mike T Nelson said...

Nice work on hitting 300 Fawn! CONGRATS!!!
Rock on
Mike N

Steve Reishus said...

Great work, Fawn! That's huge. Very inspirational.