Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Squating on Monday

Monday is for squats once again. I wore my new Reband knee sleeves Ellen Stein gave me at the Arnold. When you are as good as Ellen, you can help out other lifters, you can even give them some of your equipment. I hope I will be that good one day.

I also ordered new squat shoes. The squat shoes I have been using were a gift from Mark Riefkind, they were actually his shoes. A very nice pair of Adidas weightlifting shoes. Aaron has been training over head lifting and Zurcher deadlifts. He mentioned he wanted to start doing squats. I told him he should try my shoes. The Adidas shoes I have been using actually fit his feet, I have been wearing a couple pairs of socks to make Mark's shoes fit. So, I ordered myself a new pair of Adidas weightlifting shoes. I am sad to let go of my gift from Mark (Tracy's idea), but Aaron and I are a team... what benefits him, benefits me. I am happy he has a good pair of lifting shoes to wear.

Any who... here is how it went down for me...

Back Squat
45X8
95X5
135X5
165X3
180X3X8
~I am doing the same program I have been doing for the past year. I know it won't work forever, but I can't see changing what is working right now. The knee sleeves felt weird and hot, but when every good lifter wears them, I should at least give them a shot.

Front Squats
135X5X3

Bulgarian Split Squats
2/12kgX5X2
2/16kgX5

Ham-Glute Machine
6,8,8

Training was tough. Maura and I decided that we don't really need a whole week off training. We already take a week off before the meet, another week means two weeks.

3 comments:

Franklin said...

Are your knees bothering you a bit? .. if not are you using the knee sleeves as a preventative measure?

I've become a bit of a squataholic myself .. front and backs are a must for O-lifts.

I would also think that with Aaron's body type and massive strength base, that heavy squatting will be natural for him.

fawn said...

Franklyn,
My knees are fine. I noticed everyone at the Arnold uses the knee sleeves. They keep the joint warm and flexible. I've been meaning to get a pair... I just never got around to it, so Ellen gave me a pair of hers. I guess they must be important.

Way cool you are training the Olympic lifts. I hope I get a chance to train them one day. Power cleans are in my next training cycle.

Mark Reifkind said...

fawn

it's perfect for you to get shoes that fit you right and that aaron can fit into my shoes. They will continue on!
Keep going you are doing great!
Miss you guys.

Rif