Monday, June 22, 2009

Week of Rest


Even though I haven't been a good blogger, I have been training for a powerlifting meet. I have been trying to put all my programing research to use. I made a spread sheet based on percentages, factored in rest, reps, and assistance work. I had to make a few adjustments, but stuck to the plan for the most part.

The most difficult part for me is trusting the program, waiting until the meet to test a 1RM. I like to KNOW I can make the lift before I try it in a meet, but that isn't how it works. You are not supposed to test your lifts before you try them in a meet. In fact, you aren't really supposed to lift more than 90% of your 1RM in training.

Right now I am supposed to be resting and getting ready for the meet. Because I teach kettlebell classes, I have to do a few swings, snatches, cleans and squats everyday, but I am keeping the weight low, and trying to back off a little. Everyone has to move, and kettlebell movement is normal everyday activity for me, so that shouldn't interfere with my preformence at the meet.

Goals for this meet; getting more comfortable in competition. I am what you call a "gym lifter". That is someone who does better in the gym than in a meet, that is no good. I'm not a natural preformer, I have to practice competing to get better at it. This will be meet number 5. After competing at The Arnold, the little Duluth meet should be cake...

2 comments:

Ellen Stein said...

You will smoke those weights this weekend-stick to the plan!!!

fawn said...

Thanks Ellen!
I will keep you posted about the meet.