Monday, July 6, 2009

New Training Cycle and PR

I am finally able to press the 24kg. I have not been specifically working toward a 24kg press, but I have been wanting to press that pig for a long time. Every month or so I give the 24kg a try... suddenly I can press the 24kg, no problem. I have pressed it 5 times now. Twice on the 4th of July before we left to spend the weekend with Aaron's parents. Today, Monday I have pressed it 3 times. I can't get a double in yet, but I feel like that should come soon. I haven't been able to press it with the left arm either... only on the right side so far. Here is something for your viewing pleasure.


In other news, I have a new training cycle mapped out specifically for me by Matt Gary. Yep, I am finally going to get serious about powerlifting. Matt coaches Team Quest as well as his wife Sioux-z Hartwig-Gary. I know I am going to learn A TON from working with Matt. My cycle is "Shieko Like". I can't wait to see what happens with my strength. I was inspired by Becky Rich who is training with Wild Iron in California; she just put 20lbs on her squat, 17 pounds on her Bench Press and 13 pounds on her deadlift. WOW!! That is amazing improvement. I want those kind of numbers! Check out Powerlifting Watch!

Friday July 3 I did a max effort deadlift day. I was able to pull 305lbs, no problem... but missed 315lbs. I was still just too tired from meet in Duluth and the long drive. My back really tightened up on me after our drive up to Alexandria. Not a nice feeling. This happened to me a few years ago when I first learned how to dl. Deadlifting + Long drive = sore back.

Also, a bench press. Not my strength, but getting better. Long monkey arms; but I do have a great arch. Check it out if you feel like you need a laugh...

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

You make them both look WAY too easy, Fawn! How close is that 24kg to half your body weight? Can't be far off at all. STRONG WORK!

Taikei Matsushita said...

Congratulations. I think Elsa knows what you've accomplished. Yeah, kind of have to admitt that I miss her.

fawn said...

Jennifer,
My competition weight is 56 kilos, so the 28 would be almost exactly half. It will probably take me another year to get there, pressing is not my strength.

Taikei,
Isn't Elsa sweet? She knows something exciting happened, she is helping us celebrate, lol!

Ellen Stein said...

OK so now I am inspired (or should I say my competitive juices are flowing?) I can barely press the 20kg! You are one strong lady! I can't wait to see how you improve with Matt's expert coaching!

fawn said...

I really had to work to get this one. Now that I can finally press the 24kg, I press it a few times a day. I did the same with the 20kg.

Franklin said...

24kg KB press? Damn strong!!!

Ev said...

That press is awesome, lady. You ROCK!

Vicki said...

I really like your blog. Are you going to keep it going?

Lauren said...

You're awesome! So strong!