Saturday, September 19, 2009

TCO Powerlifting Meet

Here is how it all went down...

Getting into my weight class was a breeze! Again, I stuck close to my weight class, so I didn't have much to cut. I was constantly weighing in at 125lbs for the past week. That is less than 2lbs from the weight class I compete in; 56kg or 123.2lbs. I weighed 123 exactly last night right before bed time, and weighed in at 121.7 this morning at the meet. I had a calm, relaxing day on Friday. My BFF Tracy Reifkind is in town visiting this weekend, we had time to visit and ate lunch together. I slept well and felt really good when I woke up. I had a ton of snacks packed, weigh-ins and equipment check went smoothly.

Best of all I had Aaron by my side. The last meet I did 3 months ago I was on my own. It is very nice to have someone running numbers, timing my warm-ups, and generally watching over my well-being. Having him along at meets is a real luxury!

*Squat - I started warming up at 9am, lifting started almost on time at 9:35. Warm-up went exactly as planned. I smoked 220lbs, my first attempt. I smoked 237lbs. My third attempt 253 never came up. I went down, came up about 1/4 of the way, then crumbled like a sand castle. I'm not sure what happened.

*Bench Press - Warm-ups went well. 105 went up easy. 115lbs got one red light from a side judge for a "belly bench". This was pure BS. I had a chalk line from the bar on my singlet that was clearly on my sternum, which I pointed out the red lighting judge, it didn't make any difference, the lift was good with 2 white lights. I guess the red light shook me up a little because I missed 121lbs. I missed it because I brought the bar too high and was out of my usual groove. Mental note; don't change your groove to make one fussy judge happy. This would have been a white light anywhere else including National Meets. Sometimes judges are wrong and you still have to live with it.

The bad news is I am feeling discouraged because I am having a terrible meet. So far I have no squat pr and I couldn't even tie my last pr on the bench press from 3 months ago. Good news is I haven't lifted anything heavy yet, so I should have a ton of energy left over for the Deadlift.

*Deadlift - This is usually where I crash. Today, my energy is good despite feeling extremely disappointed with how things have been going. My last warm up at 260 felt heavy and my back is now starting to tighten up. I opened at 281lbs, which flew up and felt better than 260. My second attempt of 303lbs. went up alright, but felt like a challenge. I may have missed my groove a little. My third attempt 314 simply stuck to the floor.

As you can imagine I am extremely disappointed with every lift. I don't really know what went wrong. I felt like I had a good training cycle, plenty of rest before hand and a good plan for the meet itself. At least I got all my second attempts this time, I have had meets where the only lift I get is the opener. I would have to say the only meet that went worse than this one was Raw Nationals. There is another meet in 6 weeks, back to the drawing board, blow it up and start over with a new plan.

7 comments:

Steve Reishus said...

Sorry to hear the meet didn't go as well as planned. With your determination and form, I'm sure you're set for some breakthrough PR's pretty soon. Hope to see you guys in October. I was SO bummed when I found out I couldn't make it down today. Also, I've got a bit of an unorthodox template that I'm using right now if you're looking for ideas. I've been able to put 120 lbs. on my total since June with it. Only if you're interested.

Blasé said...

The last time someone accused me of a "belly bench"...I slapped the shit out of him.

Peace and Love

Boris said...

Peaking's a difficult thing - 6 weeks will be another chance to get it perfect. Bad meets (I've had more than a few) can be great learning experiences. There's a lot to juggle and if weight management was something that improved, well hey there's improvement! Warm-ups were dialed in? There you go. Can't do much about judging though...

It was great talking to you and Aaron on Sunday. Can't beat good food and good conversation! Diminished returns are something I've given a lot of thought to, but Aaron's application to ukemi was really eye-opening to me, and your insight into tough-love was something I needed. Thanks and I hope to see the two of you again soon!

Mike T Nelson said...

Nice to see you there Fawn and thanks to Aaron for the bench hands offs--much appreciated!

I know you will come back and get your numbers. Most never have any intention to compete; so you get major kudos from me for showing up and giving it your all.

Rock on!
Mike T Nelson PhD(c)
Extreme Human Performance

Mike T Nelson said...

Nice to see you there Fawn and thanks to Aaron for the bench hands offs--much appreciated!

I know you will come back and get your numbers. Most never have any intention to compete; so you get major kudos from me for showing up and giving it your all.

Rock on!
Mike T Nelson PhD(c)
Extreme Human Performance

fawn said...

Steve,
Sure, I am interested in what you are doing... anything to get stronger!

Boris,
I don't think it was a peaking problem... everything seamed to be in order. I'm a little mystified as to what the problem was. But that is what makes training fun, finding out what works and what doesn't.

Mike,
Nice seeing you too! Hope things went your way last week. Miss see you on Friday Night DL's.

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Hiya Fawn! Nothing like popping into a yoga class for another perspective on movement. Or a nice nap-you have been working hard and it reads like many components of your training came together nicely for the meet. You are strong,strong. Keep at it!!