Sunday, September 6, 2009

Training Up-date

No new messages posted lately, but I have been training hard. Lots of changes for me this training cycle. The meet I am preparing for is the Twin Cities Open, September 19. Here are some highlights...

Probably the biggest change for me was training time. Business has picked up for me and I have been working early in the morning, I needed to start training during the day instead of at night. This meant not training with my long time training partner; Bench Press Champion Maura Shuttleworth. The good news is I had a lot more energy in the morning, bad news is training without Maura is lonely.

I have been getting some direct coaching from Matt Gary of Supreme Sports Performance and Training. Matt has me using the Conjugate Method. Mark Reifkind suggested this method way back when I first started messing around with powerlifting. I was simply overwhelmed, I didn't really "get" how the Conjugate Method worked. I needed someone to spell out exactly what I needed to do, and that is what Matt did. Training under the guidance of a coach is invaluable! I have learned more from the coaching I get powerlifting than I can express. I used pistols as one of my conjugate exercises. It's one of my "show off" moves, I eventually worked up to 28kg X 2/2.


Bench Press - Still a weak lift for me and challenge. Getting tight and staying tight is what I am trying to focus on.

Squat - Going well! I like this lift and Matt has me doing a much different volume/weight scheme. Here is a video for your viewing pleasure...


Deadlift - I will be deadlifting heavy for the last time before the meet on Monday. Deadlift is a hit and miss lift for me. My best pull is 315lbs, done in Tarman's basement. My best meet pull is 308lbs done at the ASF in March, I missed 319lbs. I had an extremely disappointing pull in June at the TPO meet. So, who knows, hopefully things go better this time.

8 comments:

Ellen Stein said...

Awesome stuff! as always YOU ROCK! Now just get your head out of your ass for this meet and you will be fine! I promise! and Matt is NEVER wrong!

fawn said...

Thanks Ellen.
Did the last of my dead yesterday...

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

I love it!!!! Very inspiring!! You are looking VERY strong and confident. Thanks for sharing those clips and for the update!

Ellen Stein said...

and??? how'd it go? easy I'm sure...

fawn said...

Thanks Katie!

Ellen, you got mail.

Rapid Results Fitness - Betsy Collie said...

just checking in and saw your latest post! Wishing you huge success Fawn!!!

Gabi said...

Wow, that's today... Good luck (not that you need it) and have a great time!!

faith said...

I saw elsa!