Friday, December 31, 2010

I love Weightlifting!

I have always been curious about Olympic Weightlifting. I have finally started training Oly WLing on a regular basis, and I love it! I still suck... I throw the bar forward and jump forward when I snatch (a big no no). I muscle up my cleans. My jerks are a disaster on so many different levels; I lead with my big butt, I pitch forward and I often press out the bar (pressing out is a DQ in a meet). The cool part about my lack of skill is the fact I get to LEARN and improve!

Powerlifting is like the Iyangar Yoga asana in the world of strength. Lots of emphasis on alignment and technique. Weightlifting is the Vinyasa of the strength world. Moving the barbell from the floor to overhead. The better your path and technique, the more weight you can move, but you have to find your own way.

Some snatch highlights from last week's training...


The Oly lifts can be frustrating... I feel like I am making the correct movement, but when the lift falls apart before I can stick the landing is proof I took a wrong turn. I focus my efforts on leading the upward movement with my traps, but cast the bar out, or I focus on keeping the bar close and pulling my hips to the bar and totally forget about pulling the bar with my traps, lol! About 1 out of 10 lifts I will magically connect the dots and the lift sails up almost effortlessly. Once I actually felt like if I wasn't holding on the the bar it would have been flung through the roof, then I effortlessly received the bar in a full squat. That is the best feeling in weightlifting... like the clouds part, a ray of sunshine shines down on me and the angels sing! Hallelujah! I finally did it right. So far, I get a PR every time I train! I am up to 46k snatch and 59k C&J. Nothing to brag about, but progress.

The best part about learning is having a coach. It's almost like cheating, I have someone who watches me move and gives corrections. My coach is Roger Sedecki. Roger is patient and has a sharp eye for movement. When he assigns a wight for me to lift, I know I can do it because I trust him. I also have a fantastic group of people I get to lift with at Twin City Barbell. So far, it seams like the group is dominated by women, and these women are strong and fast! Even though I do not seek out group activities, lifting with a group of serious people has a way of making me feel stronger. Learning something new makes me a better teacher.

4 comments:

Howie Brewer said...

Nice work, Fawn!! I've now begun OL as well. Maybe I'll see you at a competition sometime in the future. I only have the luxury of being coached once about every two weeks. But those times training at the club with others is great. My coach keeps telling me to stop pulling with my arms. Hahaha... it's harder than it sounds. But I too am enjoying it! Keep it up!!

Howie Brewer said...

I also just posted a few quick clips of some of my training on my blog. Vids not as nice as yours, but it's something.

bencrush said...

Great work Fawn! Very impressive power and strength displays. I'm enjoying your blog and have added you to my blogroll.

Ben Edwards

Franklin said...

Hey Fawn it sounds like you might be getting hooked! Glad you got a great coach. Great looking as well!