Sunday, December 19, 2010

Something New

I've been a competitive Powerlifter for a little less that 3 years. In that time I have competed at several local meets, 3 national meets and the Arnold Sports Festival. I have met some of the biggest names in the sport of Powerlifting (Sioux-Z Hartwig, Ed Coan, etc.) and I have worked with some fantastic coaches (Mark Reifkind, Matt Gary). Best of all, I met some of the most generous and helpful people. Powerlifters are a welcoming group, eager to hand out training tips and tricks. I love Powerlifting!

Competition has taught me more about how to train, training cycles, strength, recovery, nutrition and mental focus than anything else. I have always said, Powerlifting has done more for me than I have done for Powerlifting. I am a much better trainer for having trained for competition.

I'm a curious person, I have always wanted to check out Olympic Weightlifting. Hurling barbells overhead has always appealed to me. Now I know it's more like hurling yourself under the barbell, lol! I'm working with a new coach, Roger Sadecki. The group at Twin City Barbell Club is great! It's exciting learning something new, especially something so incredibly technical like Weightlifting.

I was looking over some of my old Powerlifting videos and it was interesting to watch my form change and improve. Here are two videos marking the beginning of my learning Weightlifting. I am awkward and unsteady... still making tons of mistakes.


Snatch - 83lbs at BW ~128lbs


Clean and Jerk - 123lbs at BW ~128lbs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! You're already at a BW C&J!! You can be a very competitive Olympic lifter if you train for it. You are a superior athlete.